Kristina Jo's Reviews > Inheritance

Mar 31, 12

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2012

I didn't put this book down. I could have, but I didn't want to. How the freakin' heck are we going to kick Galbatorix's behind? I had to know.

As with Brisingr , I feel that Inheritance shows Paolini's growth as an author. Not boat loads, but growth. Again, Eragon is less perfect in this book, which helps me like him as a character. And he still gets his butt kicked; unfortunately, we find out in this book (or was it in Brisingr?) that he's getting his butt kicked not because he stinks, but because his opponents are getting supernatural help. Why is that so unfortunate? Because it means that Eragon isn't imperfect, just out-gunned. And perfect people make me dislike myself, so I don't like perfect people. So, to combat his enemies supernatural help, Eragon finds supernatural help. (view spoiler)

In terms of the war, I'm not sure how I feel about who survived and who didn't. (view spoiler) On the one hand, it'd have been really, really sad if (view spoiler) had died, but it would have been more realistic. Now, Paolini didn't go so far as to save everyone our main and secondary characters cared about; but most of the people he did kill off were tertiary characters. Like, I don't remember their names anymore, and almost all the names I do remember survived. I sound terrible. It isn't that I want people to die; it's just that it's war, so how does this one little clique survive unscathed?

My biggest problem with this book is that I cared more about the secondary characters (Murtagh, Nasuada, Roran, the Varden in general) than I did about Eragon. Again, I read the Eragon bits to get to the anyone-else bits. I especially liked the (view spoiler)

So overall, Inheritance shows Paolini's growth as an author, but he doesn't need a bigger place yet. While I would say that Brisingr and Inheritance aren't a waste of a reader's time, Eragon andEldest are more up in the air, and reader's discretion should be used when approaching the series. Paolini gives readers a what-came-before summary in each book, but it isn't enough to skip any books, so if you want to read #3 and #4, you have to be willing to put up with the crap in #1 and #2. I wouldn't do it again.

But can a get a book about Angela? A prequel or something. She's kind of hilarious. (But don't ruin her…)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.