Mandapanda's Reviews > Play It Again, Charlie

Play It Again, Charlie by R. Cooper

Aug 04, 2012

bookshelves: various-romance
Read from August 04 to 05, 2012

Re-read on 5/8/12. This book really rewards a reread. The issues I first had with not following the dialogue weren't a problem this time around and I LOVE the two characters. Upped from 4 to 5 stars because I think it's a book I'll come back to over and over again.

Original Review (21/04/12):
This is the story of Charlie Howard, a retired cop, still recovering from an accident that's left him with scars and a limp. Now he's teaching criminal justice at a local community college and managing his family's apartment complex. Charlie is a take-charge sort of guy. He raised his sisters after their mother died, and is still the person they and their grandmother turn to for help. He feels like he has to hide his pain and loneliness to be the man they all need. This all becomes even more complicated when he falls in love with the flamboyant, sexy new tenant in his apartment block, William, who has a 'Daddy' fixation. Even though their attraction and lust is off the charts, their lack of communication and incorrect assumptions about what the other person wants, look set to bring it all crashing down.

There are so many things I liked about this story and the two MC's. The lust between them is so thick you could choke on it. The anticipation of that first time Charlie spanks Will is delicious. I wouldn't class this as a BDSM novel though. It's much more along the lines of K.A. Mitchell's Bad Boyfriend. It's a long story and you really get to see the relationship slowly grow. The gruff cop and the flamboyant twink are one of my favourite pairings in m/m romance and Charlie and Will are great examples of this trope. As someone who has always found the 'super dom' to be an unbelievable character, I loved seeing what happens when the dominant partner doesn't have all the answers.

What I found frustrating about the story was the dialogue which is hard to follow. It's like eavesdropping on a conversation and only hearing enough of it to confuse you. Charlie and Will are both VERY poor communicators and sometimes I wanted to yell at them to just say what they're thinking. Also the misunderstanding prior to the HEA was a little unbelievable for me.

Still I really enjoyed this story and I imagine I'll like it more on the second and third read. It's sexy and complicated and exactly the sort of book I love.
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play It Again, Charlie.

01/30 marked as: read

Meggie Really good review Mandy ^__^. I'll definitely read the book.

Purplegirl Daddy Kink? I may have to get this. LOL

Mandapanda Purplegirl549 wrote: "Daddy Kink? I may have to get this. LOL"

I never used to like Daddy kink. I think I was put off by all those cheap short stories where the 'twink' was a thinly disguised adolescent child. But since I read Bad Boyfriend I realised how hot it could be for two adults!;)

Emma Sea Great review MandyM!

message 5: by Edina (new)

Edina Rose From all the reviews, I think I will wait and see if the book will be republished ( with better editing).

Mandapanda To be honest I didn't even notice any editing problems! o.O

Tiya Rosa "It's like eavesdropping on a conversation and only hearing enough of it to confuse you."

THIS.