Lyndi's Reviews > Alien Diplomacy

Alien Diplomacy by Gini Koch

Apr 10, 12

Read from April 08 to 09, 2012

First, this is a horrible cover... Kitty looks like her back is broken and she's missing a leg. WTF?

Edit: While the cover makes a little more sense now that I've read the book, she still looks messed up.

This is the 5th book in the series and unfortunately, my least favorite so far. When I say I love this series, you really have no idea how much of an understatement that is. But I just...wasn't impressed this time around. There are too many unresolved issues and plot holes. And while I call them "plot holes", they may actually be addressed in subsequent books. At the moment, though, they are plot holes.

So, this is going to be a little rant. Spoiler warning! Continue reading at your own risk.

We still don't discuss Kitty dying while giving birth. It's mentioned when the Dazzler's start going into labor, but we still don't address the issue at all and that's pissing me off. She friggin' DIED and all kinds of crazy shit happened! Regardless of whether or not Kitty remembers what happened (remember, Reader doesn't remember what he learned while dead and they both forgot what they spoke about after he was brought back), the situation needs to be resolved. I have a hard time believing Gini Koch would give us the dying scene and not wrap it up by the next book. But nope, you can pretty much forget that Kitty died because it means nothing in this book. Fingers crossed for a resolution in the next book.

Less action. Lots of running away, though, and I was a little let down. I know Washington DC is a place where your enemies are right in front of you pretending to be your friend. I expected some serious backstabbing, political maneuvering, etc. Instead, we got some slightly annoying characters from the Washington Wives class that didn't do much of anything besides insult Kitty and make her feel uncomfortable. Their nonsense could have been taken out entirely. Also, I'm totally confused about who is married to who, who was pretending to be straight, who was having threesomes, etc. Those Washington spouses are freakin' kinky!

At the end of the last book, it's revealed that some weird shit is happening around Alpha Four, but nothing of that was mentioned in this book. Hopefully, the 6th book will cover it. I was excited when the Earth A-Cs and humans went to Alpha Four and I had hoped they'd go back for a visit in this novel. No such luck. Alpha Four is mentioned only once, I believe. Alexander isn't mentioned at all.

We usually have numerous different diabolical plans happening at once and that doesn't seem to be the case here. However, there was enough confusion that it felt similar to the other books. This is the first book in which the A-Cs don't really know what's going on. It was a new concept, since usually Kitty can figure out what's going on with a little bit of verbal thinking. In the previous books, I really liked that Kitty would catch on before anyone else. In this book, she kept her mouth shut and I kinda missed the way she worked things out by discussing them. It happened a couple times, but never to the extent that the previous books did.

Now, it sounds like I didn't like this book but I did! I promise! I just didn't get the answers I was hoping for and things were much different in this book. It's not a bad thing, just different. I really hope the plot holes are filled in the next book. Otherwise, I'm going to have to write a strongly worded letter to my Congressman and take this shit to the hill.

I definitely recommend this book, but you can't start here. You have to start with Touched by an Alien or nothing will make sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alien Diplomacy.

04/08/2012
0.0% "Freakin' 90 chapters! You keep upping the ante, don't you, Koch? I'm pretty sure the next book will just be a chapter per page."
04/09/2012
40.0% "It's taking a while to get to the good part... I really want to love this book, but I need something more!"
04/09/2012
44.0% "GAH! FUCKING KILL SOMETHING ALREADY!"
04/09/2012
56.0% "You know, I chafed against everyone's change of position and title just as much as the characters did... I mean, seriously, diplomacy? That isn't one of Kitty's strong suits. I was worried things would be too political, with less action. While there are more politics and there is less action, it seems to be moving along a little better than before. I've still got my fingers crossed for something better, though."
04/09/2012
58.0% "I'm putting my money on Bernie being a bad guy planted into Kitty's "normal part of life" to get close to her. I felt she was entirely too eager to get to know Kitty in that first Mommy and Me class, kinda desperate to see her again outside of class. Now the phone call and subsequent calls from everyone under the sun. Oh yeah, I say she's a bad guy. If I'm wrong, I'll... shrug and do nothing."
04/09/2012
91.0% "I FUCKING KNEW IT!!"