WovenStrands's Reviews > Anew

Anew by Chelsea Fine

U_50x66
Mar 31, 12

In the first book of The Archers of Avalon, the likes of King Arthur or Morgan le Fay won’t be seen. Instead, Chelsea Fine teases readers with an exquisite dose of mystery, intrigue, and leading readers on with secretive looks and suspicion. Anew is a modern day fairy tale, but whether there’s a happy ending remains to be seen.

Scarlet Jacobs doesn’t remember her life before two years ago, when she was found alone in the forest of Avalon, Georgia, aside from her name, age, and the curious symbol she draws on her sneakers. Deep in the woods outside of Avalon, however, Tristan and Gabriel Archer know everything about Scarlet down to the reason she doesn’t remember the past that threatens her life.

The difference between Tristan and Gabriel is palpable, like night and day. Together they quest to save Scarlet from an inevitable fate. Fine develops a relationship among the brothers, and Scarlet, that rivals the many love triangles in Young Adult Literature. It’s plain to see the familial bond between Tristan and Gabriel – they don’t stick together just because of Scarlet. Each brother develops some kind of relationship with Scarlet from a fragile beginning that feels more like a reawakening.

Despite the life-altering secrets revealed to Scarlet she sticks with the Archers, trying to remember and search for anything that can save her. Fine gives readers a delicate situation that puts tons of pressure on the characters. It’s hard to determine who is hit harder – Scarlet, with an unknowable future, Tristan, with an ache that can’t be calmed, or Gabriel, the one wedged in the middle of everything.

Anew takes passion deeper than the heart and mystery veils a normal life for Scarlet. The countdown begins for the three teens and anxiety grows with each tick of the clock.

Candace Hawkins

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anew.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa I started reading this book, but when I got to know about the Love triangle, I stopped. Should I continue? I mean, I want to Love Gabriel, but I LOVE Tristan.<3 :/