Cate's Reviews > Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir

Bloom by Kelle Hampton

F_50x66
Apr 27, 12

Read from April 07 to 16, 2012

I also have a daughter who has Down syndrome, and I have been following Kelle Hampton's blog since the birth story post. I wanted to love this book, but I just didn't. The book rehashes the diagnosis and aftermath, and while that's interesting, it's not enough to fill almost 300 pages.

I also felt that it seemed...forced. She seems really interested in proving that she is at peace with the diagnosis, and it did not always ring true to me. What's that expression, "Show, don't tell?" There's an awful lot of telling, and not so much showing. (Despite all the photos, which are pretty enough but there are way too many of them.)

I have a list of books that I recommend to people who want to learn more about Down syndrome, and I'm not going to be putting this one on it. Maybe in a few years she will be able to write a sequel that tells a more complete story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Devin Id be interested to see your list! I have a daughter who has Down syndrome and am searching for a book I can at least somewhat relate to

Cate The two I usually recommend are Jennifer Graf Groneberg's Road Map to Holland and Mitchell Zukoff's Choosing Naia: A Family's Journey. JGG's book is the memoir that best captured the experience for me. Zukoff's is more of a general interest book about Down syndrome - it started as a series of articles in the Boston Globe, and it focuses on one family's experience with a prenatal diagnosis and the early years, but it provides a pretty good overview of DS and many of the related issues/controversies.