Steve Bernard's Reviews > Liminal States

Liminal States by Zack Parsons

Mar 31, 12

Recommended for: Anyone with any affinity for sci-fi or horror
Read from March 27 to 31, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I am convinced that this book will be remembered as one of our generation's great works of science-fiction.

For those of us who reached adulthood just in time to witness the rise of social networking and the slow collapse of American politics in the aftermath of 9/11, this is a novel that plays on our deepest fears. Beneath its sci-fi trappings, Liminal States is a story about being robbed of the illusion that our identities are unique while watching our world march inexorably to self-destruction. It's a story about transhumanism and our slow, insidious drift away from human nature and towards some wholly unplanned and quite possibly catastrophic destination. It's a story about America and its uncertain future.

That this novel worked at all, with its era-hopping, century-spanning plot, is truly a testament to Parsons' skill as an author. The first two acts are not only excellent and well-crafted love letters to their respective genres, but they are core to the plot; where a typical dystopian novel simply drops the reader into its bleak landscape, Liminal States guides the reader down the long road by which its world unravels, from an ominous beginning to an inevitable end.

I urge anyone with any affinity at all for either sci-fi or horror to give Liminal States a chance. Here's hoping this is only the first in a long line of great literary works from Zack Parsons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liminal States.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sean B Awesome review, I couldn't agree more!