tarawrawr's Reviews > The Opposite of Hallelujah

The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab

Nov 21, 12

bookshelves: challenge-src2012, challenge-ccc2012
Read on November 20, 2012

Review originally posted on my blog http://hobbitsies.net/2012/11/the-opp...

I really enjoyed reading The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab. I haven’t read All Unquiet Things, but after reading The Opposite of Hallelujah, I’m definitely going to pick it up.

The Opposite of Hallelujah is a slow moving, but emotional and enjoyable contemporary. I wouldn’t recommend it to people who need constant action because it is definitely on the slower side, but that really worked me. I enjoyed getting to know each character – I didn’t really like anyone at the beginning of The Opposite of Hallelujah but as the story progressed and I learned about each character, they really grew on me. Even the parents, who I just wanted to shake for being so controlling.

I loved Pawel. Just loved him. He was such a nice guy. Adorable and geeky – not quite swoony, but just adorable. And Caro was an interesting protagonist – not always likeable, but always understandable, I thought. And Hannah. What a can of worms. I don’t even know where to begin with her. Anna Jarzab certainly put together a dynamic and interesting set of characters in The Opposite of Hallelujah.

Religion is a huge aspect of The Opposite of Hallelujah which made me nervous, but it was so well done. It wasn’t preachy, but it was a huge – massive – part of the story and there was a lot of discussion about finding faith/doubting faith/does God even exist, etc. And I actually really liked it – it was nice to read about characters who were so relatably unsure and confused about everything.

The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab is a beautiful and moving contemporary with a lot of important themes. Again, if you’re not a fan of slower stories, I would pass over this one, but I do highly recommend it for fans of contemporaries that will make you think and enterain you at the same time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opposite of Hallelujah.