Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}'s Reviews > The Angel Hunter

The Angel Hunter by J.A. Leary

8282085
Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: four-stars, own-hardcover, such-memories, should-reread-and-rereview, reviewed
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

J. A. Leary’s debut book is a good start. It is a supernatural mystery starring Victoria Hunter, a highly accomplished business woman and mother of twins. It has an original plot, unlike many of the popular wannabes, interesting dialogue, and life-like characters. Mr. Leary proves that it is possible to write a spell-binding book involving the supernatural without vampires and werewolves. Yes, you read that right. There are no vampires fighting over the heroine in this book. Many twist and turns will compel you to keep turning the pages well into the wee hours of the morning. The book delves into the eternal question of good and evil and challenges some deeply held Judeo-Christian principles which may further fascinate (or upset) some readers.

The initial pages felt awkward as though the writer was trying to write according to some creative writing principles handed down by a teacher from long ago, rather than in his own voice. By about chapter three it was clear that Mr. Leary had found his way back to his own voice and style and the novel had managed to garner my undivided attention. As the perspective of the narrator changed frequently in the book it became, at times, cumbersome to read.

This book is not an easy read and some of the scenes can be quite frightening, which makes this not a book I would recommend to younger audiences. But to readers who enjoy reading something other than your average pool side novel I recommend this book.

**I got a free book from J.A Leary.**

Find this review and more at Domus Libri!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel Hunter.