Beth's Reviews > Al Capone Does My Shirts

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

Sep 28, 08

bookshelves: audio, favorites, historical-fiction, middle-grade
Read in September, 2008

What makes me really love a book is when the author is a master at creating characters so vivid that you can either get behind them or you want to smack them because you hate them so much.

Choldenko does a great job of doing both in this book. You really feel for the main character, Moose, and the horrible reality of his situation having basically lost his childhood because he has to look after his autistic sister, Natalie, all the time.

You want to smack Moose's mother for being so oblivious to the fact that he's still a kid and shouldn't have to take on adult responsibilities the way she's imposed them on him. And also the fact that she doesn't seem to give any consideration to what he wants and needs because she's so focused on her child with the disability. I think this book, while a work of fiction, is a really great testament to the hardship that some families face when dealing with a child with a disability.

I had heard that this was a really great book for a couple years now and now that I've gotten around to reading it, I was pleasantly surprised that it met and exceeded my expectations.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Al Capone Does My Shirts.