Neryssa's Reviews > Room Temperature

Sep 02, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, shorts
Recommended for: Parental Units
Read from July 20 to September 02, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I would give this book 3.5 stars if I could.

I cannot believe this is the same author who wrote House of Holes. I'm both shocked and delighted about that. While I think I loathed House of Holes (maybe it was me, not the book?), Room Temperature was almost completely softer and...(looking for the right word)...lovelier than HOH. I say "almost" because Baker still did use some stark flashbacks and relatively "colorful" metaphors but they were ding-dang BRILLIANT in use.

It's 3 stars instead of 4 because for some reason, the story didn't grab me with both hands and make me sit and eat it. I mean, it's 116 pages, and it took me 64 days to finish. Sixty-four! Days! To finish 116 pages. But when I did pick it up, I was truly transported into his "remember whens" and bought it. I don't know why I kept putting it down?

If you're a new parent (or fixin' to be), you'll relate. If you're an empty-nester, it'll take you back. I'm somewhere in between, and I did relate. Maybe I'll read it again in 15 years or so. (If you've never had a child, I still think you'll like the prose and Baker's construction.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room Temperature.