Sarah's Reviews > Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir

Bloom by Kelle Hampton

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from March 31 to April 01, 2012

I was not expecting to receive a finished copy of this book when I won it from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers. But I'm very glad I did - this book is gorgeous. The packaging is lovely, with beautiful full color photos throughout. This tells the story of Kelle Hampton (a popular blogger, apparently, though I'd never heard of her personally), whose life is changed when her second daughter is born with Down Syndrome. I assume that some of what is contained within this book Hampton had already shared on her blog, but, like I said, I'm not familiar with it, so I don't know. I wanted to read this book simply because the story sounded interesting and it certainly was. Hampton is blatantly honest in her descriptions of her emotions and actions after her daughter was born (they had not received a diagnosis of DS prior to the birth). At times, I got a little frustrated with just how upset Hampton was - it felt like she thought this diagnosis was basically the worst possible thing when I can think of far worse things (as a matter of fact, she speaks of some friends who had their babies die shortly after birth, something I would consider worse than this diagnosis). I understand the pain of dealing with something, especially unexpected, that is going to radically alter the life you imagined, but I guess I saw it as, of all the things that could have happened, this is maybe not the most terrible. But then, I've never been in this situation, so who's to say I wouldn't react the same way? The bluntness of this book is its strongest point - I cried a number of times and laughed out loud a few. The photos are a very welcome addition to the story - they add another layer of information, plus they are quiet nice to look at. All in all, this was a moving story that I imagine will appeal greatly to families going through similar experiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloom.