Traci's Reviews > 100 Selected Poems

Apr 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads, nonfiction
Read from March 31 to April 01, 2012

It's a happy coincidence that I'm kicking off April's reads with poetry. Happy National Poetry Month!

Despite having never played a musical instrument, I spent the majority of my time in college at the school of music (I'd explain my color guard days, but I suspect that very few of my GoodReads friends would "get it" and/or not make fun of me for it). Anyways, for one of my captain auditions, we received a CD with recordings from the music school for the purposes of choreographing a piece to a song. We had to use a marching band recording of Tchaikovsky's "March Slav" but there were also some very good concert songs on that CD as well. One was entitled "I Thank You God.." and was a recording of some choir at the school. Over the years, it's become one of my favorites and every choir seems to sing it differently despite using the same words, so I discovered. It took me until this year to figure out that the song is actually an E. E. Cummings poem, hence why this gal picked up a book of poetry.

ANYWAYS, I enjoyed the selected poems and I need to get over my fears read more poetry in the future. I enjoyed how one poem would beautifully describe nature, while the next talked about farting full oft. Variety is indeed the spice of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Selected Poems.