Angela Oliver's Reviews > Someone Like You

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in March, 2012

Sarah Dessen is a well-renowned US author, but little known here in New Zealand. This is the first book I have read by her. It feels quite American - with mentions of camp and prom and Thanksgiving, but I do not think that should put people off. It is also refreshing to read something aimed at the teenage market that does not focus on vampires, werewolves, angels or other supernatural beings, but instead deals with real teenage girls in realistic situations. It does deal with relationship issues - that all important question "is he worth my virginity?" and the coming to terms with your identity, developing the confidence to stand up for yourself and make mature decisions. All things which I think are sadly brushed over in the "I-found-my-true-love-at-16-and-he-wasn't-human" themed books. At times it's a bit gritty, and at times you want to slap Halley, the protagonist, and tell her that she's making a mistake. And, of course, this novel is about friendship - about the bond between two female friends that has lasted since childhood and will last for many years to come. For those who have read and enjoyed Jacqueline Wilson, Melina Marchetta, Ann Brashares - then you shall enjoy these books too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Like You.