Emily's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

Apr 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, family-stories, fantasy, good-for-boys, ya-fiction, audio, 2012-reading-challenges
Read in March, 2012

Why I picked it up: I hadn’t read anything that was written by a solo Holly Black, and I’ve wanted to, especially after standing in a circle of people at ALA 2010 with “I’m standing next to Holly Black…I’m standing next to Holly Black” running through my head the whole time. Also, Ally Carter once mentioned this book on her blog as one she particularly liked, and I’m a big Ally fan-girl so I tend to read what she recommends.

This is a difficult book to summarize. Cassel is the only non-worker in a family of workers—people born with the ability to do one of 7 kinds of magic. He’s been happy at his boarding school, but is now on probation after sleepwalking onto a roof. At home, his mom is still in prison for working (all forms of working are illegal) and his two older brothers are acting stranger and moodier than normal. When Cassel finds a white cat in the barn that is identical to the one that keeps appearing in his dreams, everything he thought he knew about himself and his life begins to unravel right in front of him.

I had a hard time with the beginning, but once I got into it, I really, really enjoyed it. It’s dark. Darker than I expected, and probably darker than I normally like. It also is complicated and unexpected and just a really good ride. I’m looking forward to the next one, and book 3 in the trilogy comes out in just a few days, so I’m one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have to wait.

Quote: “The woman..has..glasses hanging around her neck on a beaded chain. I wonder if she made the chain herself; irrationally I associate crafting with friendliness.” (page 74)

Jessica's Scavenger Hunt: Motorcycle

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.