Jenny Q's Reviews > No Longer a Gentleman

Jul 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: review-copy
Read from April 28 to May 02, 2012

3.5 Stars. I was excited to get a double pack of Mary Jo Putney romances for review, and not having read her before, I decided to start with her newest, No Longer A Gentleman. Besides, I have a weakness for historical spy romances, so I really wanted to read this one!

The story takes place in France and England during the Napoleonic War and follows British agent Cassie Fox as she helps break fellow agent Grey Sommers out of the French prison that's been his home for ten years. But breaking him out was just the beginning. Now she has to get him through hostile territory to the coast and smuggle him across the Channel, evading police, soldiers, and angry citizens along the way, and all while trying to deny her feelings for Grey and the bond growing between them. After all, it's only natural that a man so long without human company would latch on to the first woman to come along. But that's all it is. Once Grey is safely back in his family's fold, he'll take up his duties as the Earl of Costain and find a rich society bride, and Cassie can go back to her life of anonymity. But Grey has other plans. Can he convince Cassie that he wants her to remain by his side as he returns to the family who's given him up for dead, and that he needs her by his side for the rest of his life? Or will he lose everything when an old enemy lures them into a trap to settle a grudge once and for all?

The thing I like best about this novel is the characterization. Simply fantastic. Cassie is utterly convincing as a woman used to blending in and fading away. She's been playing parts for so long, that no one knows who she really is, possibly even she herself does not know who the real Cassie is. And Grey is just devastating as a newly freed prisoner. Ten years in solitary confinement have taken their toll, and it is very difficult for him to readjust into society. The attachment he forms to Cassie is realistic and both touching and heartbreaking.

So, I really wanted to love this. I loved the characters and I loved the story, but this book really dragged for me. There was a lot of repetition, a subplot with Cassie's relatives that went nowhere and seemed to just eat up space, and I found myself skimming quite a bit toward the end. Still a worthwhile read for being different from typical Regency romances, but not special enough to really stand out from the crowd.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Longer a Gentleman.

04/28/2012 page 17
5.0% "I love spy romances!"

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Nice review, Jenny. I'm not reading any more of this series as it's just a bit average and there are too many other books out there.

Jenny Q I'm getting ready to post my review of The Rake, which I loved, so I will check out more of her titles down the road!

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Jenny wrote: "I'm getting ready to post my review of The Rake, which I loved, so I will check out more of her titles down the road!"

Oh, The Rake is probably my favourite of MJP's! Look forward to your review.

Jerelyn I agree with you.