David Caldwell's Reviews > Midnight Alley

Mar 12, 13

liked it
bookshelves: won-it-on-goodreads-first-reads, mystery, suspense
Read from April 25 to May 03, 2012

I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

I am around page 40 and have already noticed 2 inconistencies.The first has a tattoo apparently changing.It is described as having 4 clouds with one having a glaring man's face, one a silhouette of an eagle,one with the head of an ox, and the last is empty.But later the tattoo is said to have a lion and no eagle.The second problem has a girl being gagged.The gag is tightened. Then the girl starts talking.Not a good start especially when this is a mystery and changing details can keep you from figuring out who is guilty.

Around page 65, there seems to be some more confusion.Ash is told he has appointment with Teshay's coach before he has notified Teshay's mother that Teshay is dead.But when the coach sees Ash, the coach said he set up the appointment because Teshay's mother had called him about it.One last problem occurs on page 250 where they are talking about the witness who "tried to bribe" Ash.The witness would have been asking for a bribe or extorting Ash since a bribe is given to someone who wants something done not to the person who wants it done.

I also had a problem with the metal detector being used indoors.It is hard to imagine being able to scan anywhere in a house where you would not get a positive reading for metal.Also why would you even use a metal detector looking for an object that from its description is not made of metal?

Apart from these problems, the story was not bad.Asher Levine is not the most likeable character.The story, while not boring, is very convoluted and not the fastest paced.If you are a fan of police stories where the policeman is a lone wolf or cowboy, then this might be the book for you.

I would have given this book a rating of 2.5 stars if I could but since I can't I felt it was closer to a 3 than a 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Alley.

04/26/2012 page 40
show 1 hidden update…

Dewayne Stark I often wonder why an author spends so much time adding details to an event but doesn't fact check his own story line. Starting at page 262 there is a meeting at the Apple Pan in West Los Angeles. "Let us meet out front at Overland and Pico." (that is not where the Apple Pan is located)Great details of the food and unusual things that make the Apple Pan such a different place. At the bottom of page 264 "When we climbed out of the booth," (The Apple Pan doesn't have booths) Anyone who has ever been there would know that.

David Caldwell I believe at least some of the problem comes from the author visiting a place and then deciding to add it into their story because they liked it.Unfortunately as you point out, a visitor never gets the details as well as a local will.Unless it hurts the story,the facts shouldn't be changed though.Glad you pointed these things out since I have never been to The Apple Pan.