Steve's Reviews > More than Beards, Bellies and Biceps: The Story of the 1993 Phillies

More than Beards, Bellies and Biceps by Robert Gordon

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: sports, non-fiction
Read from March 31 to April 10, 2012

This book brought back some great memories of that unique '93 Philies squad. I loved reading all the locker room stories and about the incredible team chemistry they had that year. The personal accounts from the players, especially John Kruk, Larry Andersen, Curt Schilling, Darren Daulton, and Mitch Williams are really entertaining.

On a negative note, I don't understand why it wasn't separated into two books, one for the story of the '93 Phillies, and one for the stories about the Phanatic. "The Phanatic Philes" really break up the flow of the book. One example occurs as the book is leading up to the NLCS against Atlanta. I'm all excited to read about the series, and instead I have to read 5 pages about the Phanatic's ongoing feud with Tommy Lasorda. The Phanatic Philes also seem a tad self-indulgent to me. Sort of a "Hey, read about these hilarious things I've done as the Phanatic!" vibe.

If you loved that '93 season and are in a nostalgic mood, I would recommend this book, but skip over the Phanatic Philes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More than Beards, Bellies and Biceps.

04/01/2012 page 59