Jodi's Reviews > Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

Mar 31, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I was reluctant to read this book at first, but it was a book club assignment so I felt I should at least skim it to see what it was about. I'm glad that I did! As a Christian for over 30 years it was refreshing to read a book that challenges the long held beliefs that we are fed as new Christians and encouraged to examine what we believe and why. But then to challenge ourselves to see things from a different perspective and test it against the Bible. Very interesting, and a book that gives me hope for Christians who may believe that their church or belief system is the only way to think or to get to Heaven.
Rob Bell's description of Hell, that it is the absence of God in ones life, creating Hell on earth rather than a pit of fire and brimstone as some would have us believe fits so much better into my understanding of God than eternal damnation when God's whole purpose when he sent Jesus to die for the world was redemption for all of mankind.
It's not as deep as I'm making it sound, in fact it is laid out so simply and in terms that the ordinary person could understand. So, what I'm trying to say is, it's a good read for those who want to understand Christianity on a simpler level. I would definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velvet Elvis.