Emily's Reviews > Every Other Day

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Apr 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reading-challenges, contemporary, ya-fiction, paranormal, sciencey-science-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Why I picked it up: I thought the premise of having powers every other day sounded really interesting and original, and I read the author’s The Squad series and really enjoyed them.

Kali is a high school student. Half of the time, she is normal, if a bit of a loner at her new school. But every-other day, Kali is…not really sure what she is, but she doesn’t think she’s human. On her “superpower” days, Kali fights Hellhounds, zombies, and other preternatural creatures. (When Darwin went to the Galapagos Islands, he discovered that some of the beasts we thought were myths actually exist, now called preternatural.) Kali sees a symbol on the back of cheerleader marking that girl as dead, most likely within the next day. Kali wants to save her, but it’s the wrong 24-hours…

I enjoyed it. The friendships, especially, were really cool; I like how the three girls became something of a unit. Skylar’s many brothers were interesting, too. I especially like Skyler giving her brother Reid a “#4 Brother” keychain. I really liked the every-other day concept and was interested to see how that even worked. I’m not a big fan of zombies, but I did like the aspect that these zombies are so hungry for human flesh that they eat their own tongues. Gross, but interesting.

Genre Bingo: My Choice

Jessica's Scavenger Hunt: Super Hero

Quote: …”All of the boys winced, and I made a mental note that the word tampon was male kryptonite.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Other Day.