cecilia's Reviews > Ripper

Ripper by Amy Carol Reeves

Mar 31, 12

Read in March, 2012

History at its most sensational and lurid form, RIPPER follows Arabella as she becomes intertwined with the brutal serial murders against all better judgment. Instead of sticking to her upper crust grandmother’s plans for snagging a good marriage, Abbie gets too involved with her volunterring at the Whitechapel Hospital and uncovers some dark secrets about the physicians there. Should she trust a handsome face with some pretty manners or the fatherly figure who encourages her to pursue the medical profession? Between late nights at the hospital and grisly unpredictable precognitions, the last thing Abbie needs is to turn down the wrong alley and bump into the wrong person at the wrong time for the worst possible reasons.

I find it hard to pinpoint my feelings for RIPPER. On the one hand, the time flew by as I wanted to find out what exactly Abbie was getting herself into at Whitechapel Hospital. Alleys drenched in blood and guts, secret societies wanting the unattainable, a woman testing her boundaries to expand her knowledge, RIPPER seems to have everything going for it – even a love triangle with two equally attractive men. Then again, while the pages flew, I cannot say that I was left with that WOW feeling at the end. It was more like a hmmm…? as if the story should have had a teensy bit more to really spice things up. The sense of dread, while present, never seemed to reach that boiling point where everything bubbled over to where I started frantically rushing through pages to see if the mess would right itself. RIPPER was good and enjoyable as it stands, but I think it needed something extra – whether it be more tension, more action, more horror, more drama – to really throw me into a deeper and darker rabbit hole.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ripper.