Sabrina's Reviews > The Last Great Dance on Earth

The Last Great Dance on Earth by Sandra Gulland

Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: historical-fiction, royalty-challenge, reviewed
Read from April 06 to 07, 2012

What a sad conclusion to the Josephine B. trilogy. I really enjoyed these books and am glad I read them. What a life! Josephine had much more going on than the average person. It truly amazes me the things she survived and accomplished. This trilogy follows Josephine’s life from early age to her death. To have it end as it did, really broke my heart – but this is the real deal, so it had to happen this way. And to think; I actually understand Bonaparte to some extent, and cared for him as her husband. This unkempt, abrupt little man.

There’s something to be said of a spiritual bond giving strength. It seems Josephine was indeed Bonaparte’s lucky token. With all of the threats on his life I can understand Bonaparte’s issue with wanting to secure the empire, but what I’m confused at is his turnabout feeling for needing an heir. He seemed perfectly happy with adopting Hortense’s son as his successor – why change your mind? Oh wait, the crazy in-laws?! What a mess they were. It’s a shame most lived to a ripe old age, if anyone should have been taken down, it was this family. It’s a shame Bonaparte didn’t leave them in Italy. They had no right to power and certainly couldn’t handle it.

While I really came to like Josephine, was she created too sweet, too humbling a person? Not wanting the crown, only her simple life and husband. Was this really her?! I’d like to think so, but am not so sure. I’ll have to read a biography next to see if it is so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Great Dance on Earth.