Katie_la_geek's Reviews > Angelfall

Oct 14, 13

bookshelves: favourite, ya
Read on March 31, 2012

Win one of 3 UK paperback editions on
my blog (Open internationally)

I do not know what I was expecting when I bought this book. It had a pretty cover and was going cheap so I thought I would give it ago. I had heard good things about it, I thought I might like it but I wasn’t expecting to be blown away…but I was. Consider me officially blown.

I could talk about what this book does wrong. There are wrong things in it. It is not a writing masterpiece; it is not going to win any major awards but to be quite blunt I simply do not care.

A good book is not only entertaining but it finds a way to get inside you, you feel it in your chest, that urgency to keep reading, the shock and disbelief about something that happens. It plants a seed inside you and refuses to go away. I could not put this book down. I started reading it the night before starting a new job but I still stayed up until 2am to finish it because the thought of not knowing what happens next was unbearable.

Another thing a good book has is the ability to stay with you after you have finished it and stay this book did. I thought about it often in the days after I had finished.

The characters are amazing. The relationship between Pen and Raffe is a slow burner that gets under your skin without being too romantic. The story itself is compelling. And it has you within the first few pages, as soon as that feather falls from the sky you are in and there is no way of getting back out again.

It was brutal and violent and pushed the boundaries of how brutal, gory and violent a YA should be. In my mind it was all justified and was there for the benefit of the story but those with a weaker stomach might find parts of this book disturbing and sickening. This is no walk in the park this is a world full of tragedy and darkness. It holds nothing back and shows you a place that is ripped apart and dyeing.

I could not recommend this book more highly. It is one of the best books I have read this year and is in my top three YA books of all time. I loved it, loved it, loved it and I literally cannot wait for the next book in the series, if it is anything like this then I know I am in for one hell of a ride.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

03/31/2012

Patti I'm right with you there. One of the best books to come out last year - in all genres.

Katie_la_geek Patti wrote: "I'm right with you there. One of the best books to come out last year - in all genres."

I agree. I just thought this book was amazing. I literally have nothing bad to say about it.

message 3: by Linnea (new) - added it

Linnea I wanna read this so badly! Everyone's loving it. I can't afford it. :(

Katie_la_geek Lea wrote: "I wanna read this so badly! Everyone's loving it. I can't afford it. :("

I am giving away three copies of it on my blog and it is open internationally. You never know, you might win! The link is at the top of the review.