Miss Ryoko's Reviews > Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1

liked it
bookshelves: library-book, manga
Read from May 08 to 11, 2012

Actual rating: 3.5

I am REALLY excited about this series because the story seems like it could turn out really bad ass. The only crappy thing - it's an ongoing series....which means I have to wait....and we all know how much I hate waiting >_<

I find the concept for this manga very intriguing. So I am very pumped to see how it all turns out. I love that the main characters are twins but are completely different. I have no doubts by volume 3 I'll be totally in love with Yukio (he's so nerdy and cute... I won't be able to resist his nerdy charm) but I also really like Rin. I do enjoy characters that are the bad ass type but have big hearts. And that's Rin.

And no lies...it'd be kind of rad to be Satan's child. Haha, but then again, my beliefs and opinions on Satan are VERY different than the general masses. So when I say that, it's probably not what you're thinking.

Anyways, I can't wait to start the next volume!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Stray (new)

Stray this manga is pretty cool. Have you watched the anime?

Miss Ryoko No, but I want to! We just got a roku box yesterday so I'm hoping we can get Crunchy Roll and Hulu on it and then I definitely will watch it. I wish they'd dub it in English though. Come on Funimation! LOL

message 3: by Stray (new)

Stray I haven't watched it either, and i don't feel like watching it either (at least not in the close future). Do you usually watch them dubbed?

message 4: by Miss Ryoko (last edited Jun 22, 2012 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Miss Ryoko Yeah, with the exception of Saiyuki Reload and Saiyuki Reload Gunlock because I LOVED the original English cast beyond words and the new cast Geneon got was...just horribly awful.

I watched the first episode of Blue Exorcist on Hulu a few weeks ago but the subtitles flew by so fast I didn't get to read some of it. Which is why I don't like watching it in Japanese. It's hard to watch the show and try to read the subtitles at the same time.

message 5: by Stray (new)

Stray oh, i don't have he same problem since English is not my mother tongue I'm already used to subtitles so i can read them at the speed of light because of all the films and series I've watched so far. Usually the English cast is not very good, though (thinking of Bleach right now... and of Naruto's voice)

Miss Ryoko No, if you are watching very very very popular animes, you can almost always bet the English cast is going to be awful. That's just how it is. Though, often times those open the door for impressions and entertainment. My best friend does an amazing James impression from Pokemon. Its wonderful! Haha!

message 7: by Stray (new)

Stray that must be good ^^
the only english anime cast I remember liking is the one for Fullmetal alchemist- then again, the japanese Edward creeps me out

Miss Ryoko I pulled it up on Crunchy Roll last night and watched the first episode again! I'm gonna try to get in 2-3 more episodes before the weekend ends. The animation is actually pretty good!

message 9: by Stray (new)

Stray of FMA or Blue Exorcist?

Miss Ryoko Blue Exorcist. Not a big fan of FMA

message 11: by Stray (new)

Stray oh, and did they change much from the manga?

Miss Ryoko Well, I only saw the first episode, so so far, no. But I'm sure they will be different as the episodes go on. There are only currently 8 books out and the anime is 25 episodes long, so I'm sure the end will be very different since the books were still coming out as the anime episodes were coming out. The anime ran from April to October in 2011 and during that time all the volumes weren't currently out.

But sometimes its fun to have different storylines from the manga. They did it with Saiyuki and I really loved the storyline they went with. It was really different from how the manga series but I ended up liking both endings!

message 13: by Stray (new)

Stray what is saiyuki about?

Miss Ryoko 4 guys who have to go to India to stop a demon revival project :-) It's based on the Journey to the West old Chinese story. It's awesome!! It's my all time favorite. It's full of action, drama, hilarity, and sexy guys ;-) LOL! I'm currently re-reading the series for the...5th time I think? Haha it's the best. I'm just sad because Tokyopop was the company releasing it in the US in English and now they're done for :-( But my friend Ally is currently working in Japan so she got me the last volume in the Saiyuki Reload series and my best friend speaks Japanese fluently so she translated it for me! So I'm pretty excited. But there is one more series in the over all series to finish the story off, Saiyuki Reload Blast. So I won't be able to own that series unless another company purchased it to translate it into English. I hope one of them will! I'll be so sad if I can't complete my entire Saiyuki collection.

message 15: by Stray (new)

Stray it sounds interesting, I'll definitely watch it ^^

Miss Ryoko I hope you like it!!!

message 17: by Myriah (new) - added it

Myriah Perth im with you. i hate waiting D;

message 18: by Miss Ryoko (last edited Apr 02, 2014 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Miss Ryoko Oh gosh, it is the worst!! Then you can't remember what happened because it's been a year since you read the last one. And I love love love to re-read series, but my to-read list has just been getting bigger and bigger and while I love to go back and re-read, I'm really trying not to so I can read all the books on my to-read list, so I shouldn't be re-reading a series three or four times to remember what happened before I read the new volume ;-)

Having said that, I am really looking forward to the completion of this manga so I CAN re-read the few volumes I read and read the rest of it afterwards :D