Charles's Reviews > MPD-Psycho, Volume 5

MPD-Psycho, Volume 5 by Eiji Otsuka

** spoiler alert ** Stuff I Read – MPD Psycho Vol 5 Review

So finally we managed to track down the missing volumes in this series. And it wasn’t an easy or altogether cheap process. Luckily we found a source that was selling volumes four through nine, and pounced on the opportunity to get them all, even if it took the investment of buying them all at once. Seeing as how volume five typically sells for something like twenty dollars and volume six for something like fifty dollars, we considered it well worth it. Sp th e reviews can continue. The last volume had set up the creation of miniature killers in the form of the Lucy 7. These children apparently also possess the same barcode eyeballs that the adult serial killer so far have had. And really this volume dealt mostly with resolving the plotline of the Lucy 7. It did this in typical fashion, or at least typical for this series. The bumbling police detective gets pulled into a profiling competition with an American named Partner, and the competition takes a turn when t he Lucy 7 show up and start murdering people.

The main story of this volume is fairly solid, and runs throughout the entire volume. It has room to breath, and resolves nicely. But there a few annoying things along the way. One of them is that the main female character, Machi, acts rather oddly in this volume, at first kind of whoring herself for a favor and then just sort of going along with everything. She is relegated to the background for most of this volume, and besides some random nudity doesn’t contribute. The dynamic between the multiple personality detective himself and the bumbling police detective is much more satisfying, as they navigate the dangerous game against the Lucy 7 and eventually Partner as well. Because, like everyone in this series, he turns out to be a psycho killer with a barcode eyeball as well. His mission is to kill the Lucy 7.

And that section of the volume is good. The Lucy 7, sure that they are the future and that they need to wipe out the old generation, are hunted down and murdered quite efficiently. The action and gore and all that is on par with everything else that we’ve seen in the series. It comes across as effectively creepy and intense. But the series gets a bit bogged down by a very convoluted storyline. New characters are always being added, and in this volume we see the return of a child killer who appeared in the story where Eyepatch Reporter man went psycho. He turns out to be another Nichizono, and possesses a unique eyeball mark that reads Lucy. So he at the very least is set up as different. Where the Lucy 7 turn out to be just drones, basically, one of any number of child killers that can be turned on, this Nichizono seems different. He also has the ability to transfer his personality to others. Which is quite a strange twist but I suppose is unsurprising given all the other weird shit that happens in this series.

We also meet a strange Mother figure who seems to be orchestrating the faction that split from the main evil organization. I keep hoping that I’m getting to understand the larger story in all of this, but so far not a whole lot of it makes sense. There are just too many questions and not enough answers. The volume wraps with the Lucy 7 and Partner dead and the status quo restored. More or less, at least. The main character leaves for a while while in his own Nichizono personality, and we are left with a great big question mark as to what it all means. Basically I get from this volume that this child Nichizono is special and probably going to be a main villain, that Machi’s ex is probably also going to turn out to be a psycho, and that the police detective is hilarious. It is fun that it is the same character who appears in Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and it is great to see him as a younger man.

All in all the volume lives up to the previous volumes of the series in that it provides an entertaining and brutal story about serial killers and psychos. It is unflinching in its depiction of death and while it might lean heavily towards looking at women almost solely as sexual objects, I think that there is a little more there. I just can’t quite figure it all out yet, which makes sense because the author is keeping his cards close to his chest. The volume slips a little in that it doesn’t offer up many answer to what is happening, something the series really has to start doing. All this mystery and mysteriousness is just getting confusing. But still, I give this volume a 7.25/10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MPD-Psycho, Volume 5.