Erica Almerico's Reviews > Andy Warhol, Prince of Pop

Andy Warhol, Prince of Pop by Jan Greenberg

Mar 31, 12

Read in March, 2012

Andy Warhol by Jan Greenburg and Sandra Jordan is an interesting look into a very shy painter’s life. Though the book is short, it goes into detail about Warhol’s influences, artistic decisions, friends, and style that was distinctly his. Though Warhol is portrayed as very much so a closed book, the novel explains, through friend’s and family’s accounts, why the famous painter did what he did and how he got where he is.
As a reader, I enjoyed learning what his art did for the art world and how it changed it, as a person who enjoys art but never got the chance to really study it, it was fascinating to get real commentary on his work, explaining why it was so popular and revolutionary. I thought it was great that the authors told the story in such a way that the reader learned not only about the artist but art in general as well.
As a teacher, I would consider teaching this book. The notes in the back would provide a great example for my student’s research papers. And the glossary of art words in the back would make for a great unit in an art class. The authors’ discussion of artistic reasoning and “What is art?”, I think, would also make a great scaffolding discussion leading into poetry.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in art. Whether you are interested in Andy Warhol or not you have to appreciate what he did for the art world at large and how his artistic decisions affected artists after him. As for the age group, I would probably recommend this book to high school and up. There are some adult situations that are addressed in the text that I think a more mature audience would handle better.
- Erika Breitkreuz
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Andy Warhol, Prince of Pop.