Jocelyn Cassada's Reviews > Dreaming in Cuban

Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina García

F 50x66
Mar 31, 12

Read in March, 2012

In Dreaming in Cuban, Cristina García tells the stories of three generations of Cuban women in the time period surrounding the Cuban Revolution. The book was very interesting and sometimes challenging to read because García switched among the stories of the women and within those stories, she often changed the perspective from first person to third person or vice versa. Nonetheless, I liked this narrative technique was an interesting way for the reader to gain perspective on the different characters. Furthermore, García’s writing style is beautiful. At first, I felt a little bit bogged down by all of the imagery and description, but I came to really enjoy the ways in which the author brought her characters into life.

For me, the story of Pilar, the youngest of the women, was most fascinating as it follows her struggle to form her identity as a Cuban-American. She lives with her parents in New York City and García describes her as an aspiring artist and young woman who is intelligent, strong and ambitious and striving to find her place in life. She constantly fights with her mother and longs to be with her grandmother in Cuba. It was very interesting to see the development of the relationships among these women as the novel progressed.

I thought it was a great read and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the history of Cuba and how the Revolution affected the lives of Cubans or the struggle to find identity between different cultures.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming in Cuban.

Quotes Jocelyn Liked

Cristina García
“I’ve started dreaming in Spanish, which has never happened before. I wake up feeling different, like something inside me is changing, something chemical and irreversible. There’s a magic here working its way through my veins. There’s something about the vegetation, too, that I respond to instinctively - the stunning bougainvillea, the flamboyants and jacarandas, the orchids growing from the trunks of the mysterious ceiba trees. And I love Havana, its noise and decay and painted ladyness. I could happily sit on one of those wrought-iron balconies for days, or keep my grandmother company on her porch, with its ringside view of the sea. I’m afraid to lose all this, to lose Abuela Celia again. But sooner or later I’d have to return to New York. I know now it’s where I belong - not instead of here, but more than here. How can I tell my grandmother this?”
Cristina García, Dreaming in Cuban