Andrea Guy's Reviews > Leaving Lancaster

Leaving Lancaster by Kate Lloyd

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, amish, amishfictionreadingchallenge, christian, ebook, netgalley
Read from March 31 to April 08, 2012

Leaving Lancaster is a lot different from the Amish fiction I usually read. This book deals with a woman that was raised Amish, but didn't get baptized into the church. Esther and Samuel ran off to California. In the process, they got married and Samuel got drafted and sent to Vietnam, where is becomes MIA.

The book takes place in the present. Esther runs The Amish Shoppe in Seattle and Holly is her daughter. They seem to have a good relationship until a letter arrives from Esther's mother, who Holly believed was dead.

I can understand the distrust that grows between mother and daughter but there are times when both parties seem so nasty toward the other. Esther hates seeing Holly in Amish garb. Holly doesn't understand why Esther hid so much.

There reactions are pretty much human nature. Esther is afraid of returning home after so many years, to people she's hurt in the past.

I loved watching her relationship with Nathaniel grow as the book went on, especially as Holly had a crush on him for a bit.

This book is a tale of coming back to the fold, of love and forgiveness. I think the struggles of the women in this story set this book apart from a lot of the Amish fiction out there. Most deal with younger women or young widows. In this case, Holly is 39 and Esther is in her early 50s. This was refreshing. I also loved their devotion to Anna, Esther's mother.

The only thing that kept this from being a perfect read was the ending. It felt rushed and there were some things I would have liked answered, about Esther and Beth and about Anna's illness. Perhaps that's for another book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Lancaster.