Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > These Girls

These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 31 to June 01, 2012

I've had this book on my to read list for quite some time now, and it's certainly lived up to its hype.

These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen follows the lives of three very different women: Abby, Cate, and Renee as they navigate life, love, and work. At first, I thought it was the typical "fluff" read and while a fun novel, one that wouldn't stay with me long. I couldn't have been more wrong.

This book does tread familiar ground-- dealing with broken marriages, infidelity, friends who both like the same guy, eating disorders. But the way Pekkanen handles her characters and her prose transcend this book into a totally different category.

I loved the development of all of these women, particularly Cate and Abby. There is a very poignant encounter with Abby and another character that I will not divulge-- but it was powerful, meaningful, and surprising. A two dimensional character became very three dimensional and human.

The turn of phrase is often beautiful and unexpected. And I thought this was a four star book until the very end where I was surprised and moved to tears by how Pekkanen deals with ending her story. It was done in a way that was perfect and ultimately satisfying without pandering to the stereotypical chick flick ending.

Overall, I was impressed with this novel-- beautifully written, wonderful characterization, and a must read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Girls.

05/31/2012
05/31/2012
25.0% "Just the fluff read I needed!"
show 1 hidden update…