Bigyellowtaxi1's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us

4992075
Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read on March 31, 2012

An improvement on Days Gone Bye but I have to admit I'm failing to see why this series is considered so great, perhaps I'm missing something? The Walking Dead is often praised for dealing with psychological issues of survivors in the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, and this was much more successfully dealt with in Vol 2, I did like the differing opinions on the 'humanity' of the zombies. But the other 'issues' dealt with seem to be largely "Oh, your wife/offspring/neighbour/loved one was brutally killed/zombified? Well, you have every right to be sad, but get over it already".

The women seem to contribute very little to the group's survival, they basically act as wives/girlfriends and mothers, but never as leaders. There had been a hint of this in Vol One when the men go off hunting, leaving the women to do the laundry and watch the kids... seriously? Clearly the zombie apocalypse has transported all of the survivors to the 1950s.

I wasn't a big fan of the art either, perhaps I've been spoilt reading so much Sandman lately but the art here was boring, nothing interesting was done. Considering how text-heavy this was perhaps the art was playing second fiddle, which was disappointing. I suspect it actually works better as a TV series, it premiers in the UK this coming Tuesday so I'll be interested to see how it transfers to the screen. I found it difficult to distinguish between quite a few of the characters, a problem which was compounded by just how many characters there were, including a batch of new characters on the farm, most of whom didn't do anything at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 02.