Nilesh Kashyap's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Dec 21, 12

Read from December 09 to 21, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

12/11/2012 page 14
3.0% ""a story to make you believe in God". Oh, Really? If it happens, my mother would be so happy." 17 comments
12/19/2012 page 349
87.0% "This is boring *yawn*.
Jesus, Mary, Muhammad and Vishnu, make me strong enough to bear the torture of last few pages." 14 comments
12/20/2012 page 401
100.0% "Garima: So looking forward to what you've to say about it's ending. I'm dreading a WTF kind of reaction..haha!
Few hours later...
Nilesh: Jesus, Mary, Muhammad and Vishnu!
Few more hours later...
Nilesh: What's wrong with me? I was supposed to say, WHAT THE FUCK!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teresa I just saw the movie of this last night. It was beautiful and well-acted. It didn't have as much power for me as the book had, but that's usually to be expected.

Nilesh Kashyap I was planning to read and then immediately watch the movie, but now I will have to wait for the movie. And that too without 3d, have heard that this movie has made best use of 3d.

Teresa Nilesh wrote: "I was planning to read and then immediately watch the movie, but now I will have to wait for the movie. And that too without 3d, have heard that this movie has made best use of 3d."

I saw it in 3-D and it was the first 3-D movie I've seen, so I can't compare, but, yes, I heard that too -- that they used the technology the 'right' way. From my very limited experience, I can say that it was wonderful. Ang Lee is one of my favorite directors, and his range of talents is definitely used.

message 4: by Nilesh (last edited Dec 09, 2012 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nilesh Kashyap I was reading some random pages now, two pages had some reference to God, of which one made me laugh. Let's see, how it turns out.

Teresa Nilesh wrote: "I was reading some random pages now, two pages had some reference to God, of which one made me laugh. Let's see, how it turns out."

It can be very funny.

Jonathan I think you're braver than I. Good to see you back Nilesh!

message 7: by Nilesh (last edited Dec 12, 2012 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nilesh Kashyap Nice to see you too, Jonathan. But why do you say this thing, about me being more brave than you?

Jonathan I doubt I could jump into this book so easily. Everything I've read suggests it's actually a lot of popular new age writing which I don't care for.

Teresa Jonathan wrote: "I doubt I could jump into this book so easily. Everything I've read suggests it's actually a lot of popular new age writing which I don't care for."

I hadn't heard that before, Jonathan, and I don't care for that kind of thing either, but I really liked this book, as did someone I know who is very conservative in his religious beliefs and very anti-humanism.

Jonathan Teresa wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I doubt I could jump into this book so easily. Everything I've read suggests it's actually a lot of popular new age writing which I don't care for."

I hadn't heard that before, Jo..."

Teresa Jonathan wrote: "Oh good to hear then. I might give this a go. I'll wait for Nilesh to post up a review :D"

Good idea - Nilesh writes great reviews!

Nilesh Kashyap Jonathan wrote: "I doubt I could jump into this book so easily. Everything I've read suggests it's actually a lot of popular new age writing which I don't care for."

I also thought the same before starting, but it turned out to be a 'bit' different (though I don't have proper 'new age' concept for now). But thanks that now (I'm midway) author has changed his focus from that spritual stuff to story, which I'm not enjoying either.
Thanks for bringing this 'new age' thing to my attention.

Nilesh Kashyap Teresa wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Oh good to hear then. I might give this a go. I'll wait for Nilesh to post up a review :D"

Good idea - Nilesh writes great reviews!"

Really? Do I?? Thanks for that compliment, Teresa. My feets are not going to touch the land today.

Teresa Nilesh wrote: "Sorry for late reply, its hard to take time out for GR, because I have adopted to whole new routine in one month time. "

I don't think that a reply here is ever too late! We fit GR in when we can, perfectly understandable.

message 15: by Laima (new) - rated it 1 star

Laima At least you are reading the last few pages, Niles. I did not even bother to finish the book!

Nilesh Kashyap Actually, it is very end of this book that makes some impact. Still I don't like this book. Have you read the 3rd part? If not, then you should.

Teresa Nilesh wrote: "Actually, it is very end of this book that makes some impact. Still I don't like this book. Have you read the 3rd part? If not, then you should."

I think the last part 'made' the book.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways *hopes for a review*

Nilesh Kashyap I'll try to do it, but this seems a bit hard. I don't want to hurt anyone, as many of my friends have shelved it as favourites.
And in 2013 maybe, first I must complete my goal of reading 40 books.

Teresa Nilesh wrote: "I'll try to do it, but this seems a bit hard. I don't want to hurt anyone, as many of my friends have shelved it as favourites.
And in 2013 maybe, first I must complete my goal of reading 40 books."

Go for it, Nilesh. I never get my feelings hurt if someone hates a book I love -- and, as long as you're focusing on the book in your review (as I know you would), no one reasonable should get their feelings hurt.