Susan Roebuck's Reviews > Fire Balls

Fire Balls by Tara Lain

Mar 31, 12

Read in March, 2012

What a delight to read my first Tara Lain novel: Fire Balls. It was just right for a rainy day when I needed cheering up. And Tara’s writing voice does just that – it sings as clear as a bell with hardly a word to spare, leaving the reader (me) breathless as the plot romps along at an amazing pace. She says she loves beautiful boys (on a page) so she must be passionate about her main characters, Rodney and Hunter, because I am.
Rodney is in danger of being the all-too clichéd “fey” gay character with his painted hair and hands on hips attitude. But under Tara’s supervision he becomes a fully-rounded, loveable character whose heart is larger than he is. So, says one of the story’s underlying messages, don’t judge anyone until you know him/her better.
This short novel, which has an unpredictable ending, introduces such diverse subjects as karate, painting, the life of a fire-fighter - all in interesting and well-researched detail, and each weave perfectly into a passionate, funny and highly entertaining tale populated by characters that I’ll never forget. All I need to do now is get into another Tara Lain as soon as possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire Balls.