Joshua's Reviews > Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter

Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica

Aug 18, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, books-about-restaurants, autobiographies
Recommended for: Any one who has never been to a restaurant before and wonders what they are
Read in August, 2008

The buzz surrounding this book likens it as a front of the house version of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential . While superfically, they both concern themselves with working in a restaurant, that is where the similarities end. While Bourdain uses his mystery-noir style writing to tell a gripping tale of working as a chef, "The Waiter" is a competant writer at best. Bourdain's work is scathing and the mesmerizing. This author is a waiter trying to be a writer. I know this book used to be a blog, and all the while I was reading it I kept thinking, "why did I pay for this when it indeed feels like I'm reading a blog and not a novel?"

However, not all is bad. I've worked in the front of the house of a restaurant before and the author does give away some trade secrets: like Open Table and how we use that computerized reservation system to comment on customers (like if they have bad hygiene, how they dress, who wears too much make-up, etc) and how every customers credit card information can be taken by a disgruntled employee and used since all numbers are stored on Open Table and anyone can view it.

Still, most of the time this book discusses issues that are impotent at best. There are people out there that tip less than 15% and the waiters don't like it? No way!! Waiters are human and don't like being treated like second class citizens? Zounds!! People open up more when they're eating and waiters hear incredible things that should never be said in public? I'm almost fainting this is so incredible.

Like I said, there isn't really much here that some common sense couldn't figure out.

Waiter Rant might be interesting for someone who rarely eats out, but for any one who enjoys food and has been to at least 2 restaurants before, this book will bore you to tears. Medicore at best and redundant at worst.

People really tip less than 15%? Shock I say. Shock.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiter Rant.

Chelsey This novel isn't meant to be a great, inspiring work of non-fiction. It is a neat, funny book about one guy's experience as a waiter in New York. This book isn't "Kitchen Confidential", and it doesn't have to be. It's a quick, entertaining read. If other people make it out to be more than that, that's their problem, not a problem with "Waiter Rant".