Kirstie's Reviews > Lioness Rampant

Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, high-fantasy, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: a hojillion

As I mentioned before in my reviews of the previous novels in this quartet, I'm re-reading this series for the first time in more than eight years.

I'm amazed by how much I still love this series and how much it has influenced me both in life and in my writing. I had worried a little that reading the books of my youth as an adult may prove them only books for kids. I need not have worried.

Pierce's writing is descriptive and fun and her characters so real and enjoyable I can't help but cry and laugh along with them.
In this conclusive novel Alanna faces a resurected foe and helps to crown Jon king and give him a great advantage in the form of a sacred relic.

In this conclusive volume Alanna starts to feel homesick and realises while she loves being a knight-errant perhaps she does want a place to call home also. However, she is still a 'disgraced' knight since she was found out as a woman. She needs to proove her worth, and so decides she will track downa legendary item to help Jonathan proove he truly deserves to be king.

I love that 'legends' in this world seem to have happened only three and four hundred years ago. So recently!

The story is a great adventure and I was glad to finally meet one of the Shang masters spoken of regularly in all the other volumes. The character himself was a joy to read. For the romance lovers there is plenty of fun to be had in this volume as well. Plenty of tears to be shed as well in the dramatic conclusion.

I recommend this book (and series) to anyone who enjoys or wants to try fantasy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lioness Rampant.