Prashant's Reviews > The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: audio-book
Read in March, 2012

This is a beautiful Christmas poem written by Clement Clarke Moore. I heard this on an audio book from gutenberg project and then also read the text from an e-book. The audiobook was in a sweet voice of a kid stopping and stumbling over some of the complex words.

Brought up in a Hindu house and an environment where many religions live and thrive together, for me Christmas has always been when some people in my neighborhood sang songs in the night and then around midnight a fat guy dressed in all red goes on a visit from one christian house to the other. When this "Santa Claus" used to ride up the stairs heading to the home of a Christian family that lived right above our apartment i used to confront him. I stood there in awe of such huge man with my eyes ogling at his large belly. He gave me a warm handshake and fistful of chocolates before moving ahead.

This being the nicest memory for me of Christmas apart from the desire of the Christmas cake that I used to fulfill by visiting my brothers Convent school and my then tution teacher who also happened to be christian.

This all was much before I ever heard of evangelism and even after living happily with so many Christian families, how this word still makes sense to me I don't know.

This is a nice poem to be read by everyone. And finally I know from where came the magical rhythmic words that I have heard umpteen times

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Before Christmas.

message 1: by Kritika (new)

Kritika Swarup I was in a convent school, so my memories relating to christmas are of those 22nd Dec christmas celebrations which were much awaited for the gifts that we got and the holidays that followed!

Prashant You used to get gifts in school. I didn't know that !

message 3: by Kritika (new)

Kritika Swarup :D
I remember getting a lunch box, a gullak, toffees, some kind of sweets. This other school that I switched to in 6th, though seemed richer, acted in a very miserly fashion in those terms. So only sweets there and maybe some refreshments.

Prashant No Christmas gifts or even sweets in my school. Government schools have this common characteristic. I remember that we used to have winter holidays though. Schools then used to open on 2nd Jan.

message 5: by Kritika (new)

Kritika Swarup Don't worry, you will get your christmas gifts now on :)

Prashant Thanks!