Melanie Espinosa's Reviews > Welcome to the Wisdom of the World and Its Meaning for You: Universal Spiritual Insights Distilled from Five Religious Traditions

Welcome to the Wisdom of the World and Its Meaning for You by Joan D. Chittister

F 50x66
Aug 17, 2008

bookshelves: spiritual

Epilogue: "This book is about the kind of wisdom that has emerged out of the well of the ages of each tradition that has something yet to say to our own age. " (p. 167)

Hindu Wisdom and Eternal Meaning

Buddhist Enlightenment and Desirelessness (all life is suffering, the cause of suffering is selfish craving, desire can be overcome, the way out of captivity to the self is through the Eightfold Path.)

Judaism: Community of Justice and Joy
"Life without stress can be a very stagnant life. What must we do when enough is enough? For the sake of our very souls, we must lean, lean, lean to the other side." p. 90

Christianity: The Call to the Beatitudes (In the Beatitudes, the definition of those whose lives are really blessed, really godly, really happy, Jesus calls each and all of us to be a blessing to the world.)

Islam: Community of Witness and Submission
"If the question is, Why does it feel like something is missing in my life?, the answer is because the feeling of emptiness is meant to move us on beyond where we are now to the fullness of life we are only here to discover." p. 166

My first impression was that this was a book for the first half of life. While it was interesting to me, it seemed that none of the ideas were really new to me or of pressing concern. Then, the chapters under Judaism caught my attention for ideas on perfectionism (see: Where did I lose my idealism) and stress (What Can I do when enough is enough?)

Excellently written. Keen insight. Wide range of experience with human nature and spiritual direction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the Wisdom of the World and Its Meaning for You.