Chris's Reviews > The Waste Lands

The Waste Lands by Stephen King

M_50x66
Sep 14, 08

Recommended to Chris by: nobody specifically
Recommended for: fantasy geeks and people that can tolerate Stephen King in general
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

My tolerance for Stephen King seems to ebb and flow constantly. He's probably the author whose books I read the most, but sometimes he just gets on my nerves. To make a cinematic connection, he reminds me of Quentin Tarantino, who always tries to talk hip and act cool, but most of the time I'm not buying it. The good thing about the "Dark Tower" series is that it takes place in a fantasy world so the jive-talk and pop-culture references aren't too prevalent, though the character of Eddie still gets in his fair share.

As for this book specifically, the mythology of this world takes giant steps forward in this book. Sometimes it seems like King was meandering when he outlined the story, but at other times it seems like he had a fairly clear idea of where this volume was heading. Just like the second volume, "The Drawing of the Three," the story is much more linear and less cryptic than the first book.

If you're a fantasy fan, I would say that this series is worth starting. However, if you're more of a horror fan, I would deter you from these books. Although horror is an element, I don't know that you can equate anything that happens in this book to anything from "IT," for example. "The Waste Lands" is interesting, but I'd avoid calling it terrifying.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Lands.