Gerrie's Reviews > Love Will Follow

Love Will Follow by Bailey Bristol

Mar 31, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: romance-historical, romance-historical-american, romance-with-children

There was a lot to recommend this book. The story was creative and interesting, and the main characters were very engaging. I liked the setting of small town Ohio, and the inclusion of historical events such as Wounded Knee and the Orphan Train. Both the hero and heroine are given very compelling and sympathetic back stories. I also liked the otherworldly touch, which I found quite moving. All these factors would have made the book a four star read for me. However, there were a few problems with the book.

First, a certain character, who remains mostly offstage, has a major impact on the heroine's life and actions. She's told about one-third of the way through the book that this character is dead. However, she goes on acting as though and believing that he is still alive. When she is told again later in the book that this character is dead, it's as though she's hearing it for the first time. This is an extremely serious continuity issue that threw off the flow of the story for me.

Second, the villain verged on caricature. He needed to be more nuanced, even if the author was trying to depict him as a psychopath. Someone that evil and crazy (and dirty and smelly) just didn't seem totally believable.

However, I think this author is a good writer, and I believe that this may be her first published novel. I will follow her future books with interest because I think she has real talent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Will Follow.