Niki's Reviews > The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Jan 06, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Read from October 25, 2012 to January 06, 2013

** spoiler alert ** Ok. Before I start ranting like a lunatic, I'd like you all to know that there will be spoilers in this. leave now if you haven't read it coz they're gonna start immediately.

NOAH DIED. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. I'M LIKE GONNA KILL SOMEONE. YOU CANNOT. KILL. NOAH.
But I don't think he actually died, right? That wouldn't make much sense. So I'm just hoping it's a lie.

Anyways, this book was crazy good, and I hope Jamie has a power coz he's already awesome and that would make him even cooler. So yeah. I think I'm done. Except I kinda wanna murder Dr. Kells. Anyone else with me on that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Niki Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.”
tags: love

Michelle Hodkin
“This was the boy I loved. A little bit messy. A little bit ruined. A beautiful disaster. Just like me.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You’re stronger than you believe. Don’t let your fear own you. Own yourself.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Everyone is a little crazy. The only difference between us and them is that they hide it better.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I’m too selfish to leave you,” I said. Noah pulled back so I could see his smile. “I’m too selfish to let you.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I did something brave, then. Or stupid. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.”

Michelle Hodkin
“There will come a moment when there's nothing you want more than us. Together. When you're free of every fear and there is nothing in our way.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I can't bear to look at my bed without seeing you in it.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I’ll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear.”

Michelle Hodkin
“My brother cleared his throat. "I wish she knew that I think she is the most hilarious person on Earth. And that whenever she's not home, I feel like I'm missing my partner in crime."
My throat tightened. Do not cry. Do not cry.
"I wish she knew that she's really Mom's favorite--"
I shook my head here.
"--the princess she always wanted. That Mom used to dress her up like a little doll and parade her around like Mara was her greatest achievement. I wish Mara knew that I never minded, because she's my favorite too.”

Michelle Hodkin
“But when everyone tells you you're crazy and no one believes you when you swear you aren't, a small part of you will always wonder if they're right.”

Michelle Hodkin
“There is no truth," Stephanie said mysterously. "Only perspectives.”

Michelle Hodkin
“What do I sound like?" I asked, more breathily than I intended. God, so predictable.
He considered his answer for a moment before he gave it. "Dissonant," he said finally.
"Meaning?"
Another long pause. "Unstable."
Hmm.
He shook his head. "Not the way you're thinking," he said, the shadow of a smile on his lips. "In music, consonant chords are points of arrival. Rest. There's no tension," he tried to explain. "Most pop music hooks are consonant, which is why most people like them. They're catchy but interchangeable. Boring. Dissonant intervals, however, are full of tension," he said, holding my gaze. "You can't predict which way they're going to go. It makes limited people uncomfortable - frustrated, because they don't understand the point, and people hate what they don't understand. But the ones who get it," he said, lifting a hand to my face, "find it fascinating. Beautiful." He traced the shape of my mouth with his thumb. "Like you.”

Michelle Hodkin
“The people we care about are always worth more to us than the people we don't. No matter what anyone pretends.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You will love him to ruins.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Dead end after dead end. Did you find the answers you were looking for in that book?”
“I haven’t had a chance to read it yet,” I said nonchalantly.
A half-smile tugged at Noah’s mouth. “You fell asleep, didn’t you?”
I lifted my chin. “No.”
“What page?”
“I didn’t fall asleep.”
“What page?”
Busted. “Six,”

Michelle Hodkin
“Ladies and gentlemen, Jamal Feldstein-Roth.”
I blinked. “Wait, Jamal?”
“Suck it,” he said with a grin. “My parents are liberal Jews from Long Island, okay? They wanted me to have a connection to my heritage.” Jamie made air quotes with his fingers.
“I’m not judging—my middle name is Amitra. I’m just surprised.”
“Amitra,” Noah amused. “Mystery solved.”
“What is that?” Jamie asked me.
“Sanskrit? Hindi?” I shrugged.
“Randomly?”
I shook my head. “My mom’s Indian.”
“What does that mean?” Jamie asked me.
“What does Jamal mean?” I asked him.
“Point taken.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I wish we could make out in your bed."
Noah sighed. "As do I, but I'm afraid we have ritual burning to conduct."
"It's always something."
"Isn't it though?”

Michelle Hodkin
“Two seconds later, the sound of an alarm filled my ears.
''What did you do?'' I said over the noise as he backed up towards the bathroom door.
''The girl who gave you the note?''
''Yes...''
''I caught her staring at my lighter.''
I blinked. ''You gave a child, in a psych ward , a lighter?''
His eyes crinkled at the corners. ''She seemed trustworthy.''
''You're sick,'' I said, but smiled.
''Hey, nobody's perfect. '' Noah smiled back.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Livie How do you download the excerpt?

Niki Go to the page for the book, go down till you see the buttons that list book stores (in dark green), and find the one that says "Download Excerpt." If you click that and have not checked off which ereaders you have, look to the box on the far right at the bottom and click where it says to do so. If you have, it should download immediately. After checking off your ereaders, go back to the book's page and click download again, and it should automatically download. Sorry for super long instructions, but hope this helps!

Livie LOL! Ya it did!Thanx sooo much!

Niki No problem (: