Becky's Reviews > An Uncommon Education

An Uncommon Education by Elizabeth Percer

Nov 03, 2014

Read from May 11 to 13, 2012

Naomi Feinstein is a precocious child. Gifted with a photographic memory and a natural curiosity, she vows early on that she will attend Wellesley College and become a cardiac surgeon, a goal she sets her heart on after her father suffers a near-fatal heart attack. Naomi is going to save people. But over the course of the years, she must confront the possibility that she may not be able to save those most important to her.

Naomi is greatly affected by those around her. Her father and his hopes and dreams for her, her mother and her frequent bouts of depression, her friends, Teddy and Jun. In fact, each and every person in Naomi's life offers up something that becomes part of her "uncommon education."

Of course Naomi's particular education is not uncommon at all. We are all shaped by our individual experiences. All of Naomi's experiences become part of her growth, changing her in ways that she could never have expected or predicted when she initially set her sights on Wellesley and a career in cardiac surgery.

As a narrator, I found Naomi extremely appealing. She's bright, interesting, and charming. I will admit that I generally prefer more conflict to liven up a coming of age story, but I wouldn't change a thing about An Uncommon Education. Percer's character-driven debut was a wonderful change of pace for my reading week.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Uncommon Education.

05/11/2012 page 128