Ian Tregillis's Reviews > Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

Mar 30, 2012

I want to start building memory palaces now. I'd been fascinated by the concept for a long time, but until reading this book I never truly understand what they represented. I now realize they are the coolest things ever. My memory is cruddy on the very best of days, so maybe it's not surprising that I'm enamored by the concept of improving my retention.

I don't know how useful it is to be able to memorize a shuffled deck of cards in a couple of minutes, but my life is somehow happier now that I know it's possible. Especially knowing that it involves using a mental technique invented in antiquity.

Also, this book leaves me with a dangerous desire to receive an injury to the left side of my brain, in the hopes it would render me a superhero with formidable mental abilities.

I think the great comic Emo Philips put it best:

I used to think the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonwalking with Einstein.

03/31/2012 "I never expected that reading about the arcane art of chicken sexing could be so fascinating."
04/03/2012 "Savoring this. Fascinating stuff. Particularly the bits about expertise and the acquisition of skills. Also, if I ever need to memorize a deck of cards, now I know the technique. If only I weren't too lazy to work on my real house, much less a memory palace."