Michele's Reviews > Lullaby

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

1319367
Aug 17, 08

Aside from not knowing how to pronounce this author's last name, reading this book was quick and easy (I read it in three days worth of bus rides to school and back). But just because it's an easy read doesn't mean it's not thought provoking.

Palahniuk wrote Fight Club which was made into a movie starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. (If you haven't seen the movie, go see it - it combines the uncertainty of a Sixth Sense or the confusion of a Memento with the light hearted social critique/commentary of Trainspotting or The Big Lebowski.) The movies I choose as metaphors to describe Fight Club probably say something interesting about me, but I'd rather not psychoanalyze myself right now.

Anyway, Lullaby is about what it sounds like, a lullaby, but it's also about death, guilt, and the corruptive force of power as it affects a reporter, a real estate agent and a couple of vegan Wiccans. It begins with an unexpected twist, and shortly follows that up with an explanation of what the lullaby is all about. At this point, after only about 20 pages in, you begin to wonder what Palahniuk was thinking when he wrote the book since he seems to have thrown all the good stuff into the beginning. But it continues to mystify, and then reveal those mystifications at odd moment throughout the novel, with the final twist being held off until the last few pages.

If you're looking for a quick, easy summer read and something a little edgier than a romance, feel good story, or chick lit, this is a quick and dirty book I would recommend reading, particularly if you liked Fight Club or you're looking for something out of the ordinary.

My tolerance for "ickiness" seems to be much higher than some of my book club members because the overwhelming response to this book was that there were some really despicable and graphically descriptive parts (despicable characters and a lot more description of dead/damaged bodies than some people cared for). I was the only one who found the main character, Streacher, interesting. Although I couldn't condone the character's behaviour, I could certainly understand it, and I think Palahniuk did a pretty good job getting into the mind of an uptight middle-aged man with an excessively large amount of emotional baggage. So a caveat to my sense of the book would be that if you don't like to hear icky descriptions of the body, don't read this book... though if you've seen Fight Club, you've already seen that kind of icky when Robert gets shot, or when Norton's character pulls out his tooth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lullaby.

message 1: by Shay (new)

Shay McClean Pahl-ahn-ook. :D

message 2: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Breen wrong, the authors actually stated its pronounced "palah-nick" - its his Ukranian grandparents names conglomerated into one easier to pronounce last name.