Jessica's Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, paranormal, series, supernatural, young-adult
Read from April 02 to 04, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The action and adventure in City of Ashes rivals that of City of Bones. The sophomore novel is always questionable- will it live up to the first one? How can it? Well, let me tell you that it can and not only that, it might have surpassed it.

There's also a romantic sideline in the form of a love triangle, which is where I had to dock a star. The triangle has just turned sad in this whole novel. Simon loves his best friend Clary; Jace loves his sister (newly discovered, right at the end of City of Bones) Clary- and not in a brother/sister way; Clary loves her brother Jace, but wants so much to love Simon. I can't remember the last time I read such a great love triangle where NOBODY ends up happy. I can only hope it gets better, because it'll be devastating if noone ends up together.

Otherwise, this is really excellent. Even with the downer romance, I can't recommend this book enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Cassandra Clare
“That does it," said Jace. "I'm going to get you a dictionary for Christmas this year."
"Why?" Isabelle said.
"So you can look up 'fun.' I'm not sure you know what it means.”

Cassandra Clare
“If you really love something, you never try to keep it the way it is forever. You have to let it be free to change.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jace suggested that the cast of "Gilligan's Island" could go do something anatomically unlikely with themselves.”

04/03/2012 page 176