Georgina Ortiz's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Apr 01, 2012

Recommended to Georgina by: Moisles Segundo, Donna Suva
Read from March 31 to April 01, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1st

Lovely, poignant book. Breezed through it (easy read), but took time to reflect on the protagonist's many reflections/quotable quotes (great thing). There were many lessons learned, and situations I could actually relate to. Themes of friendship, family, bullying, homosexuality, sex, gender, child abuse, relationships were explored.

I had struggled throughout The Perks of Being a Wallflower whether to give it four or five stars. I eventually settled for four, because I feel that I have encountered the book's format and heard the main character's voice before (They say The Catcher in the Rye, but I don't know. Maybe a cross between Catcher and Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time?).

Other than that, this book is a must-read. And if you love 80s/90s music (The Smiths, etc.), then you would really appreciate it more. The Smiths' "Asleep" must have been mentioned three hundred times in Perks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

03/31/2012 page 27
12.0% "Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve."
03/31/2012 page 30
13.0% "Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it's no excuse."
03/31/2012 page 51
22.0% "Downloading The Smiths' "Asleep" because the book's protagonist (Charlie) has mentioned it a gazillion times--and I'm only on p. 51"
03/31/2012 page 51
22.0% "The Smiths' Asleep is a sad sad song that I wouldn't want to hear anymore in this weather and in this condition #theperksofbeingawallflower"
03/31/2012 page 157
68.0% "It suddenly dawned on me that if Michael were still around, Susan probably wouldn't be "going out" with him anymore. Not because she's a bad person or shallow or mean. But because things change. And friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody."

Marlet After my chronic indecision whether to read it or not, I should say, I'll read it after I saw your review. You had me at "easy read" :P

Georgina Ortiz Marley wrote: "After my chronic indecision whether to read it or not, I should say, I'll read it after I saw your review. You had me at "easy read" :P"

Super easy read te :) It's worth it :)