Crystal's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Aug 27, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: travel, book-club-selection, memoir-bio-autobio
Recommended for: diehard Bill Bryson fans or fans of the Appalachian Trail
Read in August, 2015

January 1, 2004: I laughed til I cried reading Bill Bryson's other books. this one I didn't even bother to finish, but gave it to my mom, who loves the Appalachian Trail. even she said it was just okay. Maybe someday I'll give it another try. For now, I'll stick with his books that are really good, like In a Sunburned Country and Notes from a Small Island.

**Second try, August 2015: My book club wanted to read this book before the movie came out (and I'll say that the previews look good, and wow, win for Bryson, getting played by Robert Redford!), and so I thought why not give it another try. I still have to say that I think it lacks the charm of his books in England and Australia. However, it has charm of its own, and I could appreciate that a little more this time around. I slogged determinedly through this book, like Bryson and Katz on the (parts that they walked of the) Appalachian Trail. In some ways, it's a reflection on aging. In another, a reflection on American nature conservationism, for better and generally for worse, and the changing climate in general. I wasn't blown away by this book, but I'm glad I finished it (unlike Bryson with the Trail. This bears repeating because he really did skip an awful lot of a trail he intended to walk in its entirety). I doubt I'll read ever read this again. In fact, I'm left with a hankering for one of my other favorites by Bryson instead.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.