Meagan's Reviews > Boy Toy

Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, ya-sexual-assault, ya-sex, ya-recovery, ya-grief, ya-good-narrators, ya-friendship, ya-family
Read from April 03 to 07, 2012

While this book was well-written, and our narrator was engaging, there was something that kept pushing me out of this book -- maybe it was the idea of Rachel coming back to him after all this time, after what happened? Maybe it was the idea of (view spoiler)

Whatever it was, I kept wondering how realistic this actually was. The fact that the teacher's name is actually Evelyn, and she's referred to as Eve, and even brings up a comment about how she's his "first women" was a little... planted? Hokey? Annoying?

As a lot of my friends might point out, I don't read a lot of books by men, or with men as the narrators. Reason being, I remain unconvinced by the women that the men write or portray -- many of them don't have a purpose or existence outside the realm of the narrator's immediate story. They're plot devices. Though Evelyn really was a huge part of the story, all we know about her is that she's the evil woman who stole his childhood, virginity, and sexually abused him. Oh, and she often drank. There was room for so much more development -- even pertinent to Josh.

That being said, I did like reading this. It isn't often that we get to be presented with a story of sexual abuse from the young boy perspective that doesn't involve some kind of religious official. The way it was broken up was interesting, and for a thick-er YA book, it was a surprisingly quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Toy.