Katie's Reviews > The Lake of Dead Languages

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: unread-mystery

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake of Dead Languages.

05/29/2013 marked as: own-unread
12/16/2013 marked as: unread-mystery

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meagan (new)

Meagan I have argued with people over the extent to which this is a Secret History knockoff. I mean, its not as blatant as the Tana French, but it has the vibe.

AND OMG the author also wrote this ATROCIOUS PNR novel about DEMONS at a liberal arts college under a different name! Which is now all I can think of when I see her name!

message 2: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Haha, and I don't know WHY I want to read the knockoffs when I didn't really like Secret History? But it just feels like something I COULD like?

WAIT WHAT TELL ME WHICH BOOK

Alex ALL of Goodman's books are knock-offs of a Secret History. Or, at least they all take place at private boarding schools in upstate New York or New England and have some sort of lesbian undertones and some tragic child figure who now has psychosis, etc etc. The protagonist always falls in love with a townie too, usually the local law enforcement.

I liked the Tana French one more than this, but apparently I am just a sucker for boarding school novels.

message 4: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie LOL. It's good to have a theme? I wasn't that big a fan of the Tana French, but ohhh, boarding school stories.