Lisa Kay's Reviews > Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper

Jane’s Secret Unicorn Collection?

★★★½✩ (This is a review of the audiobook.) The first in the Jane Jameson series is wonderfully narrated by Amanda Ronconi; she does the snarky inflection of Jane’s first person POV just right. I think the biggest problem I had with this book was I wasn’t in the mood for snarky. (I know, I know! But, it was on my iPod/Touch and I couldn't get to what I wanted.) Too bad. Maybe at another time. Ditto with continuing the series: maybe later. I know I like this author; however, as Carolyn F said in her review: “There were some funny parts, but more smirks not laughs.”

I know I need to work on suspending my belief in RomanceLandia, or Paranormal ChickLit City, or wherever this book is set. However, the fact that Jane was given a gift certificate instead of a severance check just pushed my button. It was so against the law, I was rolling my eyes.

I guess I was in the mood for romance and this one doesn’t really go there. Well, there is the whole relationship between Jane and Gabriel, but that runs hot and cold. This dude, who happens to be Jane’s Sire, needs to roll it back a bit and give Jane the benefit of the doubt. The poor woman has gone through enough, already! She doesn’t need his ambivalent feelings.

Jane also doesn’t seem like a librarian, or my mind’s stereotype of a librarian. I was so glad to come across the part where she starts craving a book instead of blood. (view spoiler) But all that isn’t the basis of the story, which involves framing Jane for murder - more than once - and dealing with the upshot of that from the Vampire Council.

By the way, each chapter started with an excerpt from The Guide for the Newly Undead, which was entertaining.

photo credit: http://artbymichelewilson.com

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring (Jane Jameson, #3.5) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4) by Molly Harper

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Molly Harper
“I’ve never done this before. I didn’t go to human bars. Mudslides aside, I’m not much of a drinker. Club people are not my people. Now, book-club people—”

Molly Harper
“The scent of growth, quiet and green, hung heavy in the air. I heard everything. I saw everything. I could count the craters on the moon. I could count every mosquito buzz past, bypassing my tender skin out of respect for a fellow bloodsucker.”

Molly Harper
“Vampires have bright eyes glistening white teeth unnaturally smooth skin and a certain animal magnetism. If they aren't pretty they starve. It's sort of like life in Los Angeles.”

Molly Harper
“The love of a good woman can save a man" I remember Gabriel saying. "Or it can drive him to fits of unspeakable madness.”

Molly Harper
“If you want to hurt me fine. Take my books. Burn down my house. Shave my head while I'm sleeping. But nobody nobody screws with my dog.”

Molly Harper
“The brain may die, but my compulsion for useless trivia lives on.”

Molly Harper
“Note to self: Try to stop reacting to surprises like a cartoon character.”
Jane Jameson”

Molly Harper
“She was the type of librarian who has “Reading is supposed to be educational, not fun” tattooed somewhere.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Keri Love this series....maybe I should take a picture of my own unicorn collection...not ashamed of it though. :-) Great review Lisa.

Lisa Kay Keri wrote: "Love this series....maybe I should take a picture of my own unicorn collection...not ashamed of it though. :-)"

Love to see it, Keri! LOL!

Heather The next couple of books are entertaining, but a little difficult to get through, but the last book in this series makes up for all of any problems I had with this series. Promise!