Danny's Reviews > We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Aug 17, 08

bookshelves: library-book

This short novel, by the writer of the ubiquitous short story "The Lottery," is narrated by a little girl whose family are all dead except for an older sister, an invalid uncle, and at least some more distant relatives, one of which comes into the picture later in the story. The family was struck down by arsenic poisoning at dinner one night. It was in the sugar that people put on their blackberries. The narrator, Merricat, lives in a world of her own making on some land marked off from the nearby village by a fence which she tends. Very few people come onto their land, and that's the way they like it. The villagers fear the two girls and make fun of them, trying to intimidate them into leaving. These themes are similar to those of the lottery, an insular village with its own rules that one should not violate. I liked the main character, and the scenes of violence perpetrated by the village were certainly scary. I think I like this book a lot, actually, and would like to read more of Jackson's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan's (new) - added it

Dan's Obsessions Well then why don't U ( Or I suppose U might already have by now)
check out her most famous work

Hill-house haunting

That's what brought me to look this book here in the first place. A friend told me that this was one of the most re-public book in his own time. not to mention the "series" of films that followed up unsuccesfullt to that most original plot. { R. wise version not included}