Crystal's Reviews > His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage

His Needs, Her Needs by Willard F. Harley Jr.

Sep 03, 07

bookshelves: psychology-self-help
Recommended for: people in relationships, or who want to be, and want to be succesful at it
Read in January, 1997

This is the best book on marriage, and making a marriage work, and work well, that I have ever read. It's a little bit Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus, but so much better. Willard Harley points out the common fundamental differences between mens' and womens' needs and talks about how ignorance of these needs can lead to your partner finding someone, intentionally or not, who CAN fill the unfilled need(s). it's might seem like a scare tactic--the subtitle IS How to Affair-Proof your Marriage--but the author wrote the book based on years of experience as a marriage counselor, and what he has to say/ what he has learned from that really rings true. I use it to be more aware of the needs of my husband, and convinced him to read it. He liked it so much he recommended it to HIS friends. I buy it as a gift for friends I have who are married/ in a relationship--or who seem to never get into a relationship. It is invariably helpful when read with an open mind.
I should mention that the author is Christian, and there are touches of Christianity throughout the book. However, I think the principles are not dependent on the author's theology, and can easily be applied to ANYONE'S relationship, regardless of his/her religion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Needs, Her Needs.