Angela's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: rogue-books
Read from July 03 to 14, 2012

Really and truly, an original idea. I really enjoyed this, though I did have a few issues with the pacing in the middle there. I do feel compelled to say that I'm not sure I'd classify this as YA, if that's technically where people are putting it, for reasons I won't list out here.

Ismae is tough and hardened without seeming like an exaggeration, and Duval is vulnerable without seeming weak. The plot is twisty and well-crafted, the characters have real depth, and the idea of a bad ass troupe of female assassins is so freaking cool. And finally, I really loved the idea of being bonded to a saint at birth, as well as that of a cloister of sorts dedicated to the spirit of death. There were several key side characters that have a ton of potential, and I think LaFevers has made a smart choice to focus on Sybella for book 2, and I will most assuredly pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

07/03/2012 page 58
11.0% "Intriguing set up. Surprisingly dark, considering the age of the protagonist at the onset. Definitely interested to see where this one goes!"
07/13/2012 page 483
88.0% "I can't quite explain how, but I feel the pacing of this story is a bit strange. It's interesting but also, the narrative seems a bit detached sometimes. That said: a league of female assassins = win. Enjoying in spite of my reservations."
show 3 hidden updates…